Friday, January 14, 2011

loving iphones

Chance of Rain  (-this is hail showers by the way not nice little drops of rain)
9°C | 8°C

Todays hot topic- Looks like Biffo (Big Ignorant F...er from Offaly) is gone.
The golfing controversy is not going away, we will probably have a new Taoiseach soon.

And on a lighter note- I got an iphone 3 for Christmas. With the excuse that the speaker was good and my old mobile gave me terrible earaches. I understand the hype now. So, from my research, amongst my friends who have iphones, the most popular apps in this neck of the woods are:
  • free torch,
  • ikea catalogue,
  • ixpenseit,
  • period tracker,
  • my fitness pal,
  • scrabble,
  • imapmyrun,
  • viber and
  • find my iphone.
The free torch has already come in handy putting the Christmas decorations back in the attic.
The ikea catalogue is heavenly but dangerous.
Ixpensit is excellent, I put in all my spending and can see each week how much I spent on groceries petrol etc from each shop- information really is power- and its scary.
Period tracker has taken me out of a 25 year denial of whats going on- you can add symptoms and moods and my husband is keeping an eye on it... If your partner has an iphone you can sync into the programme and it sends messages to him to tell him when to be kind!
My fitness pal is amazing; you put in what you ate and how much excercise you did, it tots up the calories and tells you how many you have left for the day. A real wake up call. In New York they now post the calories against the prices in restaurants- a good idea, there is a big problem here with denial about eating and obesity. A great programme on at the moment is Operation Transformation It is following 5 people in different situations trying to lose weight. The website is excellent giving recipe of the day and fitness video etc. And there is also a psychologist involved helping people address the underlying issues. Poor things had to carry sand bags through a freezing wet tank track this week.
Scrabble and Imapmyrun I don't have, but the reviews are good.
Viber is like skype so you can make free calls to anyone with an iphone who is in a wireless network area.
I tested findmyiphone yesterday and it worked great. It pinpointed my hairdressers phone to a spot on a map, you can also remotely wipe the data from your phone, play a sound even if its on silent and send a message. Download it quick.


Update on Floyd, the pony. I took him on the road again yesterday with another quiet horse and he behaved very well, he didn't mind the traffic and didn't seem to want to buck or run away or anything. I had a new bit on him to stop him putting his tongue over it, but he was still sticking out his tongue and shaking his head from side to side. When we got back the horse dentist was there treating another horse. (Remember the song from Father Ted? 
'My lovely horse, running through the field
Where are you going, with your fetlocks blowing in the wind?
I want to shower you with sugar lumps, and ride you over fences
Polish your hooves every single day, and bring you to the horse dentist'!)

She looked at him and found wolf teeth- tiny little, useless, spikey teeth in front of the top molars that are common in young horses, they can hit off the bit causing a sharp pain, so she agreed to remove them. He was sedated and she ended up taking 6 teeth out- shocking- one baby molar, three baby incisors and two tiny wolf teeth. It seems that he was not shedding his baby teeth naturally very well and so she took them out to make him more comfortable. See below, poor pony.

No comments:

Post a Comment